Okay so when it comes to cooking Indian food, there is a basic ‘Masala’ that is used in a lot of the dishes. ‘Masala’ is a mixture of many spices and herbs. It is used extensively in Indian cooking. An Indian meal is not complete without Indian spices. For years masalas have been added to flavor the food. The aroma of the masala makes the Indian food hot, (sometimes) spicy and tempting [www.indianfoodforever.com]. So how do you make a basic masala, i hear you ask?? Well, just follow the below simple steps and you’re on your way!
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp mustard seeds 1 whole diced onion
2 cloves fresh grated garlic
1 inch fresh grated ginger
1/2 can diced plum tomatoes (or 1 diced fresh tomato)
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1/2 tsp paprika/chilly powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Handful of freshly chopped coriander
How we do:
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Once hot, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- When they begin to sizzle, add the onions.
- Cook the onions well until slight golden, then add the garlic and ginger.
- Mix well and then add all the remaining spices.
- Mix and add the tomatoes. Cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the fresh corriander
- VOILA! YOUR MASALA IS DONE 😀