Gajar Halwa is the last recipe of my 3 part Diwali sweet series. Gajar halwa is an Indian carrot pudding and is possibly one of the easiest Indian desserts to make. It’s like comfort food for me and is perfect to eat warm on days like today when it’s grey, wet and miserable outside (if you live in Manchester). Also, being vibrant orange in colour it looks purdy on the plate. Check out the recipe below. Hope you’ve enjoyed these little sweet bites posts. I’m just glad I renewed my gym subscription at the right time of the year 🙂
What we need:
500g Carrots, grated
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp butter
1/4 can (100ml) Condensed milk
1 tsp Cardomom powder
Cashews/sliced pistachios for garnishing
How we do:
- Add the carrots into a pressure cooker and add the water & steam the carrots for 2 whistles.
- Carefully remove the lid and give the carrots a little mix.
- Now add the butter, cardomom powder and pour in the condensed milk. Stir on a low heat.
- Continue to cook on a low heat until everythings binds together and a pudding type consistency forms.
- Remove from heat and garnish with cashews and pistachios.