Covid-19 is here in the UK and we sadly have no idea for how long. The supermarket shelves are becoming empty. Panic buying is a very real thing. Oh and move over sterling, toilet paper is our new currency.
For those of you who are finding it difficult to source ingredients or are currently in isolation, I wanted to share a series of recipes consisting of my favourite simple recipes using store cupboard staples!
Today’s recipe is one I make at least twice a week. Cook it for breakfast, lunch or dinner – it’s quick, easy and you can pack it with as many veggies as you like.
I love that it’s creamy, crunchy & spicy all in one. It’s also accidentally vegan, gluten free & oil free so tis a proper crowd pleaser. I like to top the porridge with mango pickle & some Greek yoghurt. My other half really likes a fried egg on top – but then I think he likes a fried egg on top of most things. Point is – get creative people!
This recipe asks for fresh coriander if you have it in. A nice little tip on keeping fresh herbs like coriander for longer, is to wash and dry them well (a salad spinner is best followed by patting dry with a tea towel). Then, finely chop with stems and pop in a freezer safe bag and then into the freezer. That way, you can add a handful to your cooking as and when you need!
If you’re on instagram, peep my “Masala Porridge” highlights to view a step by step tutorial on how to cook it.
For those in isolation who have any recipe requests or questions, please comment below. I am more than happy to help.
Take care y’all x
- 1 cup (approx 110g) porridge oats
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tomato diced diced
- 1 small carrot finely diced (you can add whatever veg you like – broccoli, sweetcorn/peas/beans all work well)
- 1 green birds eye chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp double concentrate tomato puree (you can also use 2-3 tbsp passata)
- 3/4 tsp salt or according to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp amchur/mango powder Or you can use a good squeeze of half a lime
- handful fresh coriander roughly chopped (optional)
- You wil also need water
- Heat a non-stick pan. Once hot, tip in the porridge oats followed by the cumin seeds.
- Toast on a medium/high heat, stirring continuously.
- After a minute or two, when you see the oats being to change colour and become slightly darker, add the tomatoes, carrots and chilli as well as the tomato puree.
- Now add enough water so everything is just covered.
- Now add salt, turmeric, paprika, garam masala and amchur/lime juice.Mix well.
- Allow the porridge to thicken slightly and come to a boil. Reduce to low/medium heat and simmer for a further minute.
- Sprinkle on fresh coriander and remove from heat. Taste for salt/chilli and adjust accordingly.
- Enjoy on its own or with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and your favourite pickle!