I love rajma! It’s one of my favourite dishes. Usually served with basmati rice, this Indian pinto bean dish is called ‘rajma chawal’ in Hindi. I highly doubt you will find this at any Indian restaurant but it’s one of the most popular North Indian dishes. Made with a spicy tomato masala, it’s really flavorful and paired with rice, it’s extremely satisfying to eat.
What we need:
- 2 cups raw or 2 cans cooked pinto beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- Handful of freshly chopped coriander
- 1/2 can plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Pinch of tandoori powder (optional)
How we do:
- If you are using raw pinto beans, cook them in a pressure cooker or boil them until soft. Be sure to add 1 tsp salt whilst doing so.
- In a food processor, add the onion, chilli, garlic, ginger and fresh coriander. Grind to a coarse paste
- Heat the oil in a pan. Once hot, add the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the grinded paste. Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Now add all of the dry masalas and mix well. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes and mix. Cook for 3-5 minutes. When you see the oil begin to separate from the masala, it is ready.
- Add the cooked pinto beans to the masala and add half cup of water. If you boiled beans rom raw, also add the water they were boiled in. Cook on high and let it come to a boil for about 5-7 minutes. Check for salt!
- Balle Balle! Chow down with some basmati rice, garnish with coriander and you’re good to go 🙂