I don’t know if my Mum came up for the name for this recipe but I have always referred to it as cho cho! I have 4 classes back to back twice a week so I make this and take it with me sometimes because it’s easy and quick to make in the morning before I go to school. Sooo good.
What we need:
1 cup of rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp butter
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 onion, diced
2 grated garlic cloves
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 can diced tomatoes
1-2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric (haldi)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp paprika
handful of fresh chopped coriander
How we do:
For the Rice:
- In a wide pan, boil 2 cups of water.
- When water comes to boil, add the rice, pinch of salt and tsp of olive oil.
- Add the rice. Once the water reboils, simmer on low heat and cover for 10-12 minutes.
For the Masala:
- In a separate pan, heat up remaining oil and butter on medium heat. Add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to sizzle, add the onions.
- When the onions become slightly golden, add the garlic and ginger.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and paprika.
- Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
When the rice and masala are both done, mix them together.
BALLE BALLE, you’re done!