This recipe is every veggy lovers dream! The vegetables are scooped, stuffed and baked. Also, we use the scooped out flesh to make a yummy seasoned vegetable bed which perfectly accompanies the stuffed vegetables. No waste!! Although this is a multi step recipe, it’s pretty easy and the results are worth the effort, I promise you 🙂
What we need:
6-8 cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
1 onion, diced
3-4 vine tomatoes
handful chopped coriander
6 slices bread
1 cup of grated mozzarella
How we do:
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F
- Wash all of the vegetables listed above along with cherry tomatoes. Cut in half lengthways and scoop out half of the flesh of each vegetable. (Except the asparagus and cherry tomatoes). Keep the scooped out flesh in a separate bowl.
- Line a baking tray (Nb. I always use a non stick teflon sheet for all my baking/grilling-it’s washable and reusable 🙂 ).
- Place vegetables on tray. Sprinkle some salt & drizzle olive oil over it. Bake for 10 minutes .
- In the meantime, prepare stuffing by grinding the bread in a processor to form the crumbs. Add the mozzarella to the crumbs & add 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mix well.
- To make the vegetable bed we will be using the flesh of the vegetables we saved earlier. In a pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add 1tsp cumin seeds. Once they begin to sizzle, add the garlic &onions. Cook for 2 minutes & add all the scooped out vegetables. Add the vine tomatoes. Mix well & cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 1-2 tsp salt (according to taste), 1 tsp pepper, 2 tsp oregano & coriander. Let it cook for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Spoon the breadcrumb stuffing into the vegetables. Once all are stuffed, drizzle with olive oil.
- Put it back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spoon out the seasoned vegetable mixture from pan onto a plate, forming bed. Place the stuffed vegetables on top. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Balle Balle! That’s it, you’re done. Enjoy!